A Texas judge has denied a request for a restraining order that would have prevented the release of a new Netflix documentary about Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.
In an order dated Friday, Johnson County District Judge Christopher Frandino, Jr. said the petition filed against Jerry’s Gone Wild Productions Inc., DirecTV and Netflix over the release of the documentary “Tiger King 2” was “unfounded,” and “does not constitute a threat to the Defendants with which they are in fear of their safety.”
Baskin, the former cable TV producer and Dallas councilwoman, had filed the restraining order against Jones and the companies alleging the documentary could jeopardize her and her son’s safety.
But Frandino denied the request and “declined to grant the relief requested.”
Baskin, whose famous father co-created daytime soap opera “General Hospital” and co-founded CBS Radio, alleged that the companies “have engaged in extensive cyber bullying and have erected a Google-like wall between the public and the public image of my son and me, thus preventing access to my son and me through the public domain, YouTube, TMZ, Yahoo, et cetera.”
Baskin also said that she has been an outspoken critic of Jones and his supposed penchant for speeding tickets and driving like a “40-year-old.”
She also said the presence of cameras around him “embarrasses me and embarrass(s) my children.”
Baskin told FoxNews.com last month she wanted to shut down the “Tiger King 2” production after the star of the first documentary, Star Jones, went on record accusing her of compromising her story.
Jones’s initial report went viral after she appeared on daytime talk show “The View” with the producers of the documentary.
She alleged “Co-Producer Ross [Fattah] has not contacted the family” and said Baskin “made it very clear to Star and me” that she was “enforcing my own will” and that “she was going to close down.”
In an email to Baskin and her son Jamie on Monday, Jones’s attorney Ted Field responded to the subpoena, claiming Baskin was “simply engaged in a fishing expedition…
“Mr. Baskin was not attempting to stop the filming of her son Jamie or anyone else. … rather, he was simply doing a report after she asked him to do so.”
Jones signed a form verifying he saw the litigation proceeding.
Field also sent Baskin a letter suggesting she undergo a psychological evaluation and labeled her an “angry adult desperate for attention,” asking her to “refrain from a fishing expedition on the production of the film.”
Jamie Baskin said Jones never made threats.
Baskin told FoxNews.com, “I guess I got a taste of what it was like to be stalked.”
“It’s been a very rough summer, but it’s not over,” she said.
Baskin, who co-founded the journalism non-profit group Journalism In Action with Rachel Sklar and Joe Coscarelli in 2003, believes the restraining order “might have been a stunt” in an attempt to build a PR image for the film.
With cases like that “adding to a sense of desperation,” she said, “you will have another two-week story.”
Baskin’s attorney, Theodore Ryan, said he is still considering further legal action.