This article is over 1 year old
Daily Telegraph reports that four players have passed rigorous tests and will play in tournament, which is to be hosted in Melbourne
Two of Australia’s top women’s players will be vaccinated against the H7N9 virus this week in order to compete at the Australian Open, after the players were ruled out of the tournament due to serious medical concerns.
The Daily Telegraph reported that four players including Ashleigh Barty, Ajla Tomljanovic and Casey Dellacqua had been cleared to compete at the Australian Open, which starts next month in Melbourne.
Ashleigh Barty still hopeful of playing at Australian Open Read more
The women had previously been quarantined after contracting the virus that killed 24 people in China in April. According to the newspaper, all four have now been cleared.
Australian government guidelines state that all but adults under 50 must be vaccinated for the virus and that vaccinations can take up to a month to develop effective antibodies.
In October, the Australian Open tournament director, Craig Tiley, was cautious about allowing the players to return to competition. “We will be making decisions tomorrow and, of course, we are just waiting on those to make some decisions,” he said.
Jarmila Gajdosova wrote on Instagram: “Congratulations to all the girls that passed their tests on Monday.”
Tennis Australia (TA) president Craig Tiley said last month that not all players would be allowed to play.
“There is no guarantee if they’ve [the players] been through the process and given them the benefit of immunisation that at the end of the day we’re going to be able to take them on and potentially play them,” he said.
“If they’ve had the virus, you know, it’s got to be in their system for about a month or so and that’s a big length of time. So that is the reason why we need to obviously conduct the tests.”